With the progression in the marketing sector and the emergence of digital marketing, a repeated question about what is search engine marketing is revolving around marketers and advertisers.
Search engine marketing helps businesses to make the presence online by buying ads on search engines like Yahoo, Google and Bing. The SEM revolve around the promotion of sites in the SERPs for optimizing brand conversions as well as conversions.
Search engine marketing includes unpaid and paid advertising means for optimizing the promotion of online marketing and we have created this special guide to help our readers understand what is paid and unpaid ads and how are both related to search engine marketing. Without wasting much time, let us go through the steps that will help you to understand what SEM is and how it works. So, let us dig into it in detail:
A) What is search engine marketing?
Search engine marketing or SEM includes SEO and paid ads in which SEO is the practice of gaining traffic through free or unpaid listings while paid ads are purchasing the traffic through paid search listings. With the help of paid search engine advertising, marketers can attain more web traffic through mobile, desktop or web search.
For understanding what is search engine marketing, it is very important to understand that both unpaid and paid ads. SEM is one of the best methods to utilize competitive cost per acquisition methods to attract new customers, improve ranking in SERP and organic results, boost the search engine presence and optimize other digital marketing campaigns.
The main objective of search engines is to provide exactly what the searcher is looking for, and SEM helps businesses to influence the search engines for displaying their respective ads to the searchers.
For understanding Search engine marketing, you must first understand the below-mentioned factors on which SEM is totally dependent:
a) Understanding who is the target audience
b) Setting certain goals for the PPC ads
c) Choosing the right keywords
d) Arranging those keywords into ad groups and focused campaigns
e) Creating attractive ads with a catchy call to action
f) Diverting the traffic to a landing page, which offers the right information and is optimized for high conversion rates
B) Understand the acronyms and synonyms associated with SEM
Next important thing to know while learning about search engine marketing is to have a clear idea about the acronyms and synonyms related to search engine marketing. Initially, the term, SEM was an umbrella term used for paid search activities and search engine optimization, but with time, SEM only refers to paid search. Here is a list of some of the acronyms and synonyms that are mostly used “What is Search Engine Marketing Guides”:
1. Paid search advertisements
2. Paid search ads
3. Pay Per Click (PPC)
4. Cost Per Click (CPC)
C) Learn how to attain inorganic and organic traffic through unpaid SEM
To acquire organic results through search engine optimization, it is vital to learn SEO so that you can create a website which is SEO compatible. It will help you build a long-lasting relationship with your customers. You must know how to use White Hat SEO techniques for improving the ranking of your website. Websites that are optimized for search engines and focus on organic ranking and relevancy are optimized through White Hat SEO methods.
Some of the popular White Hat SEO practices include:
· Quality and informative content creation
· Mobile-friendly website
· Fast loading speed
· Easy to navigate website
· Using keyword-rich and descriptive meta tags
To attain inorganic results, advertisers bid for keywords and ad and improve their quality score. While it may take some time to see a change in the organic results, inorganic results are immediate. However, sometimes, in-organic SEO is regarded as PPC or Paid SEM. Below are a few notable tips for inorganic SEO:
1. Find relevant keywords and group them based on relevant themes
2. Use the correct type of match
3. Estimate bid on all types of a match and select the most beneficial one
4. Keep testing the landing pages and ad copies
5. Aim for a high-quality score
6. Target relevant locations
7. Calculate and strategize SEO techniques to attain better ROI
D) Learn how to attain traffic through paid SEM or PPC
To PPC or search engine marketing helps you to implement an online ad system that attracts online traffic to your site. For this, you must pay a certain amount of money to the publisher when he or she clicks the PPC ad. Various entities that are included in PPC advertising are:
. PPC marketer
. Product seller
. Landing page provider
The success of a PPC campaign mainly depends on who well a content marketer has written the google ads copy. In order to run a PPC campaign.
E) Know the steps that are involved in search engine marketing
Understanding search engine marketing strategies are one of the important points to consider. For running an SEM campaign, here are a few steps that you should follow:
1. Plan an effective search marketing strategy: You should define your targeted audience and recognize their requirements. You must also know how your products and services can serve their needs. Review the market position of your company and recognize who are your competitors.
Now, the next thing to do is identify significant benchmarks and objectives that are suggested by the renowned “What is Search engine marketing guide”. These are website traffic, search ranking, sales and other significant ROI metrics.
2. Choose the right keywords for your SEM campaign: Next important step as per the “What is search engine marketing guide” is to choose the right keyword. Also, you must choose those keywords that your target audience use frequently for their search.
For this, conduct brainstorm sessions for knowing the popular terms that your targeted audiences utilize while looking for the type of products and services that you provide. Make it a point to interact with your best customers constantly to find what are the frequently used phrases. You can also use various keyword research tools for finding the maximum searched terms.
3. Optimize the website’s content: In order to optimize the site content for SERP’s, it is very important to focus on your website structure and should ensure that the website is search engine friendly. Most of the “What is search engine marketing guides” says that every marketer involved in digital media must understand that search engines search for the underlying code of websites when they visit your website.
You must always choose a precise, interesting, crisp and clear content that can engage users. It is significant to utilize right keyword phrases in the directory names, page title, file name, alt tags and meta tags. You must focus on your meta description, which is displayed in the search engine results under your link and provide a great opportunity to attract maximum visitors to your site.
4. Submit your website for indexing: Next step is the submission of your website for indexing purpose as this makes your website visible online to your customers. You must make sure that all the pages on your website are indexed by the search engines.
5. Include quality links to your site: As per the “What is search engine marketing guides”, it is one of the significant steps and marketers must build links to their website from valued links of other websites that your targeted visitors frequently use. Search engines consider having quality inbound links is related to the popularity of your website.
It is also significant to create link-worthy website content. For this, you must create engaging as well as informative content. Try to get links from other sources like trade associations, business partners, customers and vendors. Publishing articles and press releases online is also one of the important search engine marketing strategies.
6. Measure the results of advertising campaigns: Measuring the success of ad campaigns is one of the most significant search engine marketing strategies suggested by “What is search engine marketing guide.” For measuring the results of campaigns in the PPC platform, you must gauge the number of clicks, CPC, impressions, CPR, ROI and bounce rate. You should utilize web analytics for checking the progress and the problems of search engine marketing strategies. Keep monitoring your website’s position in SERP’s and plan different strategies for improving the search results.
Are you ready to become a certified Search Engine Marketer?
The above-mentioned steps will help you to understand about search engine marketing in the most comprehensive manner, but if you are interested in becoming a certified search engine marketer, you must gain practical knowledge in this field.
For gaining the best knowledge on Search Engine Marketing, join Streamlyn Academy. We are a digital marketing institute in Bangalore. We offer digital marketing training to students, graduates and professionals.
Our training includes classroom sessions, hands-on projects and assignments and placement. We are the only institute in India who train students on Programmatic Advertising.
Our SEM training module trains students on various aspects of a search engine like crawling, indexing, SEM and SEO. Here, we teach students about meta tags and the various kinds of links. The course also discusses robot.txt which is the standard used by most of the websites for communicating with web robots and web crawlers.
So, don’t waste any more time. Join us today and become a professional search marketer.